Thread: Need help finding a wiring connector

NABR Veteran

Default Need help finding a wiring connector

So my boat came with no radio or the jumper wire to connect to the main harness (from radio to main harness). It looks just like a off the shelf harness for a weather tight radio. I have yet to find one and would rather just get it somewhere else then the boat company that just relabels it and marks up the price. Just seeing if any of you guys has seen this part or knows where to get it.

TIA
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps5ab450fc.jpg[
    Thought I got a better shot of the side wires, but its just your usual power/ground/antt/4 channel speaker wire
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pseb02d544.jpg
    '04 Evo VIII SSL
    '90 Talon AWD -60-1, Tec3, 2.3 Stroker, TRE Tranny
    '06 Crew Cab Duramax

6mmXC

God I hate those Molex connectors..................
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The historical cycle (of democracy) seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more." - Henning Webb Prentis, Jr.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler

6mmXC
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The historical cycle (of democracy) seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more." - Henning Webb Prentis, Jr.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler

NABR Veteran

Thanks a ton! That is it.
    '04 Evo VIII SSL
    '06 Crew Cab Duramax

6mmXC

I linked the entire list of MLX shit, ignore anything that sez 'header' (solder-on board connector), and double-check the keying on your part so you get the correct mating part. They all can take either male or female terminals. Background of your pics look like the entire boat was done in those POS', so now you know where to get 'em.

- Adolf Hitler

NABR Veteran

Well let me ask you this then, what would you recommend to replace it with (within a small budget) for a better end product? It's covered, but not weather tight. It's a pontoon if that matters.
    '04 Evo VIII SSL
    '06 Crew Cab Duramax

6mmXC

I'd just mate it to what its using, no sense going overboard on fancy shit, I just hate those fuckin' things.

- Adolf Hitler

NABR Regular

Boat and Molex! WOW. You can get a Deutsch DT 12 pin for $14 that are waterproof with the non barrel terminal.

6mmXC

You can get a Delphi 150 for 4 bucks. Both sides. With pins. 15 amps. Common tooling.

Deutsch my ass, DTM is 5 amps MAX continuous, spend a fuckload on tooling, yeah, they are a high-density connector, but fuck me, they ain't that good at anything but trimming wallet. The 'Autosport' trend is a bit of a ripoff. They base their shit on standard milspec MIL-DTA-38999 aviation circular connectors and machined terminals, then ax all the shit that made them truly milspec aviation connectors. Reality is modern automotive stuff ain't bad, its just 'bulky'. All that gold, silver, or gold/silver over nickel over a layer of Tesla's cum does is lighten your wallet, don't do shit for you unless its an ultra-corrosive or very high heat environment. Fuck that. Most of us just need a locally available setup that uses cheap tooling, don't fuck up, everything's golden.

- Adolf Hitler

Hank Hill

I have to agree on the f#$% Deutsch sentiment. They aren't even that high density. The gang seal on Deutsch is more prone to leaking if the wire is pulled a little. The ONLY thing I like is their crimp method, but even that is too $$ for many people.

The Molex MX150 or Delphi GT150 series are great sealed alternatives. GT150 has been used all over the place for years, it is here to stay. And the MX150 has been used in more and more applications over the past several years. I've designed both of them into some different OEM harnesses. The Delphi Metripack 150 is another decent choice.

The only thing to watch out with on the GT150, is that they have developed a new "low cost" version that removes the front TPA to cut cost. I don't like them and wouldn't recommend them. Other than that, they are great.

NABR Regular

I really do like how easy to in-field swap pins w/ Deutsch HD10 connectors. No need for special tool and you have little chance of screwing up the connector. Spent too much time on buses figuring out why the J1708 and J1939 lines aren't working, and being able to easily extract and swap pins is a huge time saver. Besides heavy duty engine bus data I don't use Deutsch connectors. Everything else I use is Molex micro-fit, M150, and a couple JAE connectors.

We sell or support a fair bit of tracking equipment and almost all of it uses Molex micro-fit connectors (except for the IP67 equipment). We very rarely see in-field failures related to connectors or wiring even with ill-advised engine bay installs. Last connector failure I saw was when an award winning customer decided he didn't need to buy the mating Molex connector and soldered his leads directly to device. We had the device RMA'd as a connector failure, but the huge globs of solder on the connectors and the blackened board was a dead give away.

Hank Hill

Molex microfit is another one I wouldn't use for automotive even, and certainly not for marine. By default they are low current, unsealed, mediocre terminal retention, not designed to be cycled much, and not great with vibration. We used them on several automotive products at one of my former employers. We didn't have much issues with them when we used them inside the truck cab, but they are not designed for the application.

NABR Regular

Too many tight arses on here. If you too hell bent saving $2 just solder the joins together and when you want to separate the "hermatic connector/solder" use a side cutter (kitchen knife) and solder them back!!! FK ME.

Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hetal Patel View Post
    Too many tight arses on here. If you too hell bent saving $2 just solder the joins together and when you want to separate the "hermatic connector/solder" use a side cutter (kitchen knife) and solder them back!!! FK ME.
    That would be a more robust option than the Deutsch you initially suggested.