Thread: One Lap Reality TV show

NABR Regular

Default One Lap Reality TV show

This week the production group that followed us, started putting up some of the video clips. None of them are the actual reel that goes up to the networks, but they had enough material to make some fun teaser clips. The first one is TopSpeed and the interview with Leh Keen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJYMDe5fYE

The second one is a "what is one lap all about" type of video where we had some footage in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMsrmaU0FU

The idea was to capture enough material to create a sizzle real which they will attempt to sell to the network level. This is just a portion of what they've captured. Hopefully they will put out the full version, which I've seen, that has the typical interviews etc. I am told the concept for the show will be more character driven.

Granted they didn't spend the funding to get them really edited or post production work on them, but it is fun to see some of the footage they captured while hanging out the side of the mini van.

Tim

movie star background resized.jpg

Italian Sausage

Harper, there is about 15 clips of you spinning that car, jumping it, ditching it! WTF HARPER!!!!
    Magnus Social Club and Espresso Bar ◘

NABR Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Harper, there is about 15 clips of you spinning that car, jumping it, ditching it! WTF HARPER!!!!
    Marco, that's 15 clips of the Magnus, Forced Performance, ThreeSPeed, Jayracing car jumping, spinning, and ditching it. Gotta put on a show to be in the show.

NABR Regular

Here is another great clip that focuses on the RochesterDSM One Lap Evo X. It details how cool the spirit of One Lap is as people we had never met before went out of our way to get us the wheels to keep going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGa...layer_embedded

Feel free to share.

Tim

NABR Regular

you wanted more cars in the videos? Well try out the 30th anniversary One Lap teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSC0Prk9pmg

NABR Regular

I hope a network does something with this. It would be good for everyone.

NABR Regular

this video features our friends Bob and Derek in the GTR. Did pretty good for rookies.

http://youtu.be/UmmqPYxVNCg

NABR Regular

Here is a video that highlights our day at Hallet Motor Circuit in Oklahoma. Some great footage of me putting the Magnus Evo X through its paces...and then into a tire wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nirba...feature=colike

NABR Veteran

Looked like a blast. I would of went (to Hallett) if I had seen the schedule, I thought I checked it...
    '04 Evo VIII SSL
    '90 Talon AWD -60-1, Tec3, 2.3 Stroker, TRE Tranny
    '06 Crew Cab Duramax

NABR Regular

Mike it would have been great to meet you. It would have been a cool time to see us in full camera mode too. We were mic'd up all day and we had the big camera following us around all day. Hallet is a cool track to drive. Too bad they didn't show my re-run laps. I came off the track happy with how I had done.

Are you going to the shootout?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

NABR Veteran

No, I am gonna miss another year. I really want to take my DSM one year, but it just sits until I have a place to finish it.

What kind of times where you guys running? Drew Grey and Terrance Cox also run out there and they do quite well. I, well lets just say I know how to spin out a AWD. I love the Bitch tho, it seems to be the only part I can do decent. Just aim for the cone!
    '04 Evo VIII SSL
    '90 Talon AWD -60-1, Tec3, 2.3 Stroker, TRE Tranny
    '06 Crew Cab Duramax

NABR Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buskirk View Post
    No, I am gonna miss another year. I really want to take my DSM one year, but it just sits until I have a place to finish it.

What kind of times where you guys running? Drew Grey and Terrance Cox also run out there and they do quite well. I, well lets just say I know how to spin out a AWD. I love the Bitch tho, it seems to be the only part I can do decent. Just aim for the cone!
    Cones!...most of the time they remove the cones for One Lap. You get one recon lap to see the course then three hot laps from a standing start. My time for three laps was 4:32 which is about a 1:31 lap. That includes the standing start on the first lap. I have about 16 laps on that track under my belt all without instruction or apex cones. Going fast on a unknown track is a real skill. I'm OK at it but there are some guys that are just nutty good.

Also with One Lap you have to be really careful. If you go off or spin you could drop 20 spots in the standings so you have to go 9/10ths in the tricky spots and 10/10ths everywhere else.

NABR Regular

Fiery Feather Productions produced an almost hour long 2012 One Lap of America video. Here is part one of that video. Piss balls...Marco...piss balls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_diUIRf3xeU

Italian Sausage

Piss!!! Balls!
    Magnus Social Club and Espresso Bar ◘

NABR Regular

NABR Veteran

Damn that chick really shows how those big fucking sunglasses can make an ugly look hot. The event looks awesome, have to figure out how to do that one year.
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125

NABR Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Larcher View Post
    Damn that chick really shows how those big fucking sunglasses can make an ugly look hot. The event looks awesome, have to figure out how to do that one year.
    Well, she's pregnant at the time this was filmed and in a race car driving across the country on her honeymoon so she gets extra points in my book. But the voice and the butter I can totally agree with. It's funny though that when you're at a race track with 150 dudes and a handful of chicks your standards just magically drop to whatever is there.

NABR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Harper View Post
    Well, she's pregnant at the time this was filmed and in a race car driving across the country on her honeymoon so she gets extra points in my book. But the voice and the butter I can totally agree with. It's funny though that when you're at a race track with 150 dudes and a handful of chicks your standards just magically drop to whatever is there.
    I meant the daughter in the viper, I think you mean the asian chick? probably the same difference, but I agree on the standards, when we travel to big r/c races the track rats start to look good after 3 days
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125

NABR Regular

Part three is up. I stopped swearing and a funny thing happened, Steve started to break stuff and drive in the dirt. Keep an eye out for sponsor swag like the JayRacing skull cap beanie...if you send us stuff we will wear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpTid...ature=youtu.be

NABR Regular

Part 4 is up and ready!

This is the middle of the event and everyone's starting to wear down from the pace. Unfortunately in this episode we see a brand new mustang get its door ripped off and the exit of our good friends Chris Wirth, Stefan Rzadzinski from the Kids with Cancer Evo X due to mechanical issues. One Lap is not for the faint of heart. Thanks to our great sponsors Magnus Moda, Robert At ForcedPerformance, Harry Blanchard, Jay Racing, and ECMTuning, Inc.

http://youtu.be/h8fnpibld-g

NABR Regular

I must have been sleeping when the 5th installment of the Fiery Feather production of the 2012 One Lap of America story came out because I think the 6th hit over the weekend. So here it is. The 5th episode. I'll have the 6th up later in the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSwK...7-2fhF40DNSgmR

NABR Regular

Part 6, the final chapter in the full length 2012 One Lap of America feature from our friends at Fiery Feather Productions. See how things end up for Steve and I in the RochesterDSM One Lap Evo X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4678...7-2fhF40DNSgmR

NABR Regular

There is a rumor that the videos will be going away soon so in case you missed one of the episodes here are all six parts...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7-2fhF40DNSgmR

NABR Veteran

What does it realistically cost to run the race outside of the cost of the vehicle?
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125

NABR Regular

What does it realistically cost to run the race outside of the cost of the vehicle?
    To just do the race, you know, just have the experience you will need about $7000 which you can split between two drivers. The entrance fee is $3000, fuel is $1000, hotels about $1000, tires (which must be purchased from the tire rack) ~$1000 depending on size, brakes/parts/consumables $1000. So for $3500 you get 8 track days including the chance to drive Daytona. Keep in mind that unless you plan to drive a GTR or your track car is already well sorted you will not be competitive.

To be competitive you should have a rock solid car with about 400whp. That gives you a shot at top 20 and if everybody breaks in your class you might get a shot at a class win.

To be top ten you'll need at least 450whp, a rock solid car, an very experienced track driver, and a little luck.

To challenge for the overall win you'll need in excess of 600whp, a professional Rolex/GT driver, and no concern for money.

We obviously fall into the first group and had a really good shot at a class win this year. For new guys wanting to do One Lap I highly suggest bringing as close to a stock car as you can and concentrate on getting out to a track to hone your driving skills.

A/S/L

One Lap should be on the bucket list of any road race guy. Not because of the quality of the racing. Hell I wouldn't even say it's really "racing". The combination however is where the challenge is. You have the aspect of time trials which combines car setup, driver skill, and balls as you need to go flat out on tracks you've potentially never driven on. You then have the need to transit drive the car the entire time on one set of tires which is an endurance test of both driver and car. Now add in that it's not just an oval or road course. Hell you have to be able to tackle track, drag, skidpad and 1 special track ( autocross, dirt track, etc ) all in a single setup which adds to the flavor.

To Tim's point, you will need to bring some shit to the party to get on the top 10 list. My co-driver and I were lucky enough ( or skilled enough depending on how you look at it ) to break the top 10 both years ( 1st in class, 7th overall in 2010 and 1st in class, 6th overall in 2011 ) but that wasn't without a well sorted Evo X that ran like a champ putting out 450ish whp and some help with bigger builds blowing up. Normally you'll see 70-80 entries and 8 to 10 of those will drop out due to attrition. Last year was a little more than that and was a pretty bad year. I am currently working on sorting out my Evo IX for a run at the 2013. I need more turbo to get it to where it needs to be. The stock Evo IX turbo is good, but not good enough. A few suspension, aero and brake tweaks and she should be ready. Even with the 2 years of experience, I have no idea what or who will show up. Each year is different and each year offers new challenges.

As Tim mentioned to go for the overall win, you need some serious firepower both in the car and driver. The drivers you have to contend with are folks like Leh Keen ( 2011 Rolex GT Champion, 2010 24 hours Nurburgring champion, 2009 Rolex GT Champion, etc. ) and Billy Johnson ( Rolex GT, DP, and Grand Am driver, Skip Barber School Instructor, NASCAR Nationwide driver ). There's quite a few non-professional drivers that are still damn good. We are talking folks who have made names for themselves in other amateur racing environments. Folks like Andy Hollis and Danny Popp.

The best advice any of us who have done it can offer is go to have fun and enjoy the experience. Go with someone who you know and can live with for 8 days without killing them. If you want to go in with the mentality of competing for a top 10 spot, overbuild the fuck out of everything. Find a driver that is very good at learning tracks quickly or better yet, get time on those tracks before you run them in One Lap mode.
    a.k.a. Tevenor

2006 Evo IX SE - Part family truckster, part track bitch.

2011 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 6th overall
    2010 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 7th overall

NABR Veteran

Did you have someone follow you through the trip to keep parts/tools or did you just bring what you could fit in the car?
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125

NABR Regular

Did you have someone follow you through the trip to keep parts/tools or did you just bring what you could fit in the car?
    You can bring spare parts packed in the trunk or you can even pull a little trailer with stuff. We did that the first two years when we took the One Lap VR4. You are not allowed to have any sort of support crew follow you along. You've also have to start and finish the race on the same set of tires which really adds to the fun. You are allowed to carry up to two spares and in the case of a cut tire or some other matter of driver safety you're allowed to use your spares.

NABR Veteran

That does indeed make it more interesting, you can't really bring that many spare parts.
    Is the evo considered a sports/gt?
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125

A/S/L

That does indeed make it more interesting, you can't really bring that many spare parts.
    Is the evo considered a sports/gt?
    Evo is considered a Mid-Priced Sedan. Below is the class structure. Besides the class structure and the tire allowance ( nothing under 140 rated, single set with spares ), it's really very open. Has to be road worthy, safe and legal. Besides that, it's pretty much fair game.

Class Structure

1. Sports/GT cars over $50,000 - Engine displacement 3.5L and over
    2. Sports/GT cars over $50,000 - Engine displacement under 3.5L
    3. Sports/GT cars under $50,000 - Engine displacement 3.5L and over
    4. Sports/GT cars under $50,000 - Engine displacement under 3.5L
    5. Mid-priced sedans and wagons $20,000-$50,000
    6. Economy cars under $25,000
    7. Luxury sedans and wagons over $50,000
    8. Sport Utility vehicles and pickups all price ranges
    9. Classic American: All domestically produced vehicles built prior to 1989, including street rods, specials, etc.
    10. Classic Imported: All types built prior to 1989
    11. Alternate Fuel class-including hybrids, electric, diesels, etc.
    12. Retro: Vehicles intended to reflect past trends or models, Minis, etc.
    a.k.a. Tevenor

2006 Evo IX SE - Part family truckster, part track bitch.

2011 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 6th overall
    2010 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 7th overall

NABR Regular

I hope everyone got to enjoy the videos while they lasted because they've just gone private. I don't want to speculate on why a public reality show promotional video goes private but I will tell you its a positive in my book.

NABR Veteran
    MikeL 99GSX 11.3@125