Thread: Dan Wheldon dies after wreck :(

NABR Brigadier General

NABR Veteran

Wow, horrible crash it was. RIP.
    92 talon Panda AWD auto 10.846@128mph(FP3065/32psi) Powered by Maize! - Sold
    2013 Audi S4 APR Stage 2+, Stop Tech Big Brakes, 11.57@119mph

Vouched for by Fathouse, on probation

Oh man this is not good. He came into the indoor karting center where i worked a lot, he was a really great guy. Down to earth considering his talent.
    1991 Eclipse Gst-Daily Driver
    1990 Eclipse Gsx-Hill Climb

NABR Veteran

I was watching the race when that happened, and it was definitely one of the worst racing crashes I've ever seen. One camera view showed Will Powers' car flying so high in the air that you could see the shadow below it and it looked like another car.

NABR Veteran

I get that they're reacting to the death of their friend but what's up with all this safety talk? You have a series of vehicles moving around a narrow field at 220mph- any one of which can, at any given moment, become a rudimentary ramp or a perfectly designed wing where the ramps launch the wings toward 200ft tall death barriers. What the fuck do they expect to change here? At best they can maybe come up with a plan where we all feel better about safety while simultaneously making the sport more fucking boring. I mean this is spec racing. On one end of the scale you have Indy Cars, on the other end you have Miatas. While blurring the lines between the two might make Indy Cars safer, it also loosens a pretty tenuous grip on relevance.

I don't mean to be a jerk about it but the risks are pretty clear and sometimes people will die. I have not given a shit about Top Fuel drag racing since they stopped going 1320ft. If the thing is too dangerous then quit. Don't water it down for senseless profiteering.
    Last edited by Josh Warriner; 2011-10-24 at 16:12:29.
    The Internet: Where people who can't build sentences try to build cars.