Thread: three-speed.com Charity for 2011

NABR Regular

Default three-speed.com Charity for 2011

As you may or may not know any of the money made when a Three-Speed product is sold (and this has been true for many many years) goes to a great cause. I have found that most people didn't know.

Along with other things we have already done this year My wife and I/three-speed are going to try and get portions of the Home Economics class taught to a handful of 7th graders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_economics in case you are young enough not to know what Homec is/was.

The sewing machines are at the school but just shoved in a closet going to waste with all the other supplies that could teach kids important life skills. Stephanie (my wife) is going to donate her time after school after her full day of teaching.

So materials and fabric are what we are going to buy. To start. hopefully the kids will make blankets that then will be donated to kids that need one. (This is all based on if the school district will allow it) As much as the sewing skill we hope to get more social interaction out of the kids and to open their eyes to why they need math and reading skills even though all they want to be is and artist or a basketball player.

Just thought you might be interested in knowing.

NABR Veteran

That is awesome Harry. I had no idea. Thanks for trying to make a difference.
    Maximuscr31
    1998 Eclipse GSX -Almost ready to run

NABR Veteran

I had no idea either. This dates all the way to the beginning? I haven't even had a DSM in years but I remember buying a shield for our race car like 8 years ago or something.

So ALL the proceeds go to charity? Does that effectively make your business not-for-profit? Very cool gesture.
    Just another handbasket passenger.

NABR Veteran

I had no idea either. I also had no idea they don't teach home-ec any more? That was required for me at my school from 6th to 8th grade.
    -Dave
    1990 AWD - 10.0@138mph, 3200 lb land yacht - weekend moneypit
    1991 AWD - daily moneypit
    1989 Dodge Colt GT - MPG mobile

NABR Regular

It started out that I would take any of the profits and donate it by buying clothes for a local child that needed new dress clothes and traspartation to attend a state wide Spelling B they had won the right to go but couldn't otherwise. We also would use the for someone/thing that was raising money to fight a specific disease.

In the past years we have bought clothes, toys, and bicycles for kids of parents who lost jobs due to no fault of their own. We then had them dropped off early Christmas morning. They still have no idea where the gifts came from and that is the way we like it.

A couple of years ago we made enough to buy a large moving truck for our local church. They use it to collect and deliver used furniture and appliances to people in need. Most of the people have nothing and they live within a 10 mile radius. We also worked with Motel chain to get 100s of donated matteresses after I ran outof money to buy new ones. The most needed item are beds. We painted the truck black and lettered it in my driveway. The man (Al) that runs this ministry is increadible and helps hundreds of people a year with our simple $10K donation.

Because so many people who were blessed by the no strings attached gift of free furniture roughly 1 out of 50 helped wanted to start coming to the church. But, they had no way to get there. So this year we bought them a bus. Three-speed sales were down, and I had to personally cover a large loss from a company that went out of business and didn't pay for the product they ordered, so we took over the payments on the bus instead of writing a full amount check on the spot. But the last payment was paid Sept 30. Yeah!

We even try and sponsor a race car or two.

Three-Speed used to ask for parts donations from shops (TRE, MACHV, Turbotrix, etc.) and hold picnic and a raffle and give that money away. I only missed doing this last year (after doing it for 3-4 years) and hope to try and do it again soon but I have a 2 and 5 year old so it makes it harder.

Bottomline: Your support of our products goes to support others that can really ues it (IOHP) as well as make your day at the track a little safer.

NABR Veteran

Add me to the list of I had no idea! Very nice work Harry.
    Mike Rizzotti
    Best ET- 9.98
    First DSM stock block in the 9's!

NABR Regular

What is your paypal address Harry. I never owned any of your parts but I like what your wife and you are doing and would like to make a donation.

NABR Regular

Stephanie just got official approval from the principle. A miracle if you ask me...

Sorry for the typos above. I wrote that on a mobile device.

Gvrfour@comcast.net

We have t shirts as well if don't need an evoX scatter shield, etc. They cost me $7.00 and and about $10.00 to ship. $25 is the average going price. L and XL only.

NABR Regular

Got that sent over Harry. If you get any other sizes in shirts post them up when they become available. Hopefully more people are able to contribute to the charity.

FNG Graduate

Home Economics is now more commonly known as "Family Consumer Science" or "FCS". The same as with Industrial Arts, more appropriately named : "Technology and Engineering Education"

-Dan
    Quickest and Fastest
    1/4 mile Galant VR-4
    9.4 / 153mph
    FP HTA 3794 (T3 Turbocharger)

6mmXC

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Awesome idea, but don't get too discouraged when you run into Sturgeon's Law, and only 10% or less get it.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The historical cycle (of democracy) seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more." - Henning Webb Prentis, Jr.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler

NABR Regular

Stephanie has been a learning support (special ED) teacher for over 10 years and very good at it. The kids are tough, that is for sure. Most are lost but honestly they never had a chance.