Thread: Irregular Comp101200 camshaft wear

Fucking New Guy

Default Irregular Comp101200 camshaft wear

I recently pulled my valve cover off to have a new baffle and some -AN fittings welded on and I think I found a problem. On the intake camshaft, a few of the lobes have some spots where the machined lobe isn't polished anymore. It looks the same as the core, non lobed portion of the camshaft. I can't feel it with my fingernail. I decided to remove the cam and use a caliper on the lobes to measure and they are all within .001 of eachother, which I think is pretty good. I see some quality control issues on Forced Performance's website, which has me worried now. I should also add that I am using new 3g lifters and new rocker arms. The cams have about 10k on them.

Has any other users had any issues with Comp cams?
    Should I be worried about metal contamination of the oil? Ive recently had the pan off for inspection and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks in advance and any input would be greatly appreciated.

6mmXC

Quote Originally Posted by MZimmerman View Post
    I see some quality control issues on Forced Performance's website, which has me worried now.
    Where?
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The historical cycle (of democracy) seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more." - Henning Webb Prentis, Jr.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler

Fucking New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Artie Effem View Post
    Where?
    http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...ode=DSM-Engine
    It was originally on this page, I believe. I was looking to upgrade to some 280's a while back, and there was a snippet of info on their site (at least I am pretty sure it was their site) that discussed how there was a bad batch of camshafts that comp had made for them. I believe this had something to do with why the FP3 and FP3x are no longer made. I could be wrong about it being on FP's site, but I am about 99% sure it was. I didnt mean to cause any confusion.

NABR Regular

Got any pictures of these "unpolished spots"?
    '99 Eclipse GSX
    609WHP/541TQ

6mmXC

I'm about 99% sure you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by MZimmerman View Post
    http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...ode=DSM-Engine
    It was originally on this page, I believe. I was looking to upgrade to some 280's a while back, and there was a snippet of info on their site (at least I am pretty sure it was their site) that discussed how there was a bad batch of camshafts that comp had made for them. I believe this had something to do with why the FP3 and FP3x are no longer made. I could be wrong about it being on FP's site, but I am about 99% sure it was. I didnt mean to cause any confusion.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

"The historical cycle (of democracy) seems to be: From bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to apathy; from apathy to dependency; and from dependency back to bondage once more." - Henning Webb Prentis, Jr.

"This year (1935) will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler

Fucking New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Volk View Post
    Got any pictures of these "unpolished spots"?
    here
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t/P7250288.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t/P7250287.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t/P7250286.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Artie Effem View Post
    I'm about 99% sure you are mistaken.
    I apologize. For some reason I thought it was on Forced Performance's website.

6mmXC

Nice focus.

Jesus.

- Adolf Hitler

NABR Regular

Surely your camera has a macro setting...

From what I can see (which aint much), it looks like normal lobe wear from riding on the rockers roller bearing. I can't see anything of concern in those pictures.
    '99 Eclipse GSX
    609WHP/541TQ

NABR Veteran

Your finger in the picture is probably screwing up the auto focus.
    The Internet: Where people who can't build sentences try to build cars.

NABR Regular

Macro setting and half-click the button till you get it focus'ed correctly. Also if you camera has setting for single focus point vs. mutli point, setting it to single will help.
    96 GSX 10.63 @ 134 Stock bottom end/Stock head (Parted)
    93 GSX - Lemon/Chump crap can
    05 VIII SSL - Kid Hauler