Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel

  1. #1
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    571

    Default Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel

    Anyone else watching this show?


    Sent from mobile device.
    Hector (Turbopowr) Cabrera
    2001 Lexus IS300 (bone stock)

  2. #2
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Moho
    Posts
    622

    Default

    When I saw die grinders and cut-off wheels used on firearms, it reminded me of a OCC/Paul Jr. bike build so I moved on.

  3. #3
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    571

    Default

    It's funny that you mention that because in the next episode, Paul Jr. is going to be stopping by and they're building a bike inspired machine gun. I find the show entertaining even if they glorify it a bit for TV.
    Hector (Turbopowr) Cabrera
    2001 Lexus IS300 (bone stock)

  4. #4
    A/S/L
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Did anyone see the episode where the new guy tried to make a 1/2 katana, 1/2 machete? I watched the whole thing in horror. They should stick to guns.
    a.k.a. Tevenor

    2006 Evo IX SE - Part family truckster, part track bitch.

    2011 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 6th overall
    2010 One Lap of America, 1st in class, 7th overall

  5. #5
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Waretown, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Are we really that far ahead in the northeast? I saw the Paul Jr. Designs episode about 2 months ago!
    lithium
    '08 Acura TL Type-S
    '97 F-250 4x4 PSD

  6. #6
    NABR Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Aside from repairing some old cool guns they've not done much at all that's that innovative. The internally suppressed AK and the newest show with the long range AK were kind of neat, but that's about it.
    mavisky
    '95 Black Mustang GT - H/C/I 5.0, 3.73's, suspension mods
    '11 Red CR-Z EX w/ Navi - mpg machine
    '10 Black Forester XT - 17" Enkei's, axle back exhaust - wife wagon

  7. #7
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigKalin View Post
    Are we really that far ahead in the northeast? I saw the Paul Jr. Designs episode about 2 months ago!
    Craig, was that on Discovery Channel or another station? I just tuned in last week so I'm sure I've missed some episodes. They advertise their Wednesday night showings as being new episodes but maybe that's just for Discovery?
    Hector (Turbopowr) Cabrera
    2001 Lexus IS300 (bone stock)

  8. #8
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Waretown, NJ
    Age
    41
    Posts
    443

    Default

    I thought it was Discovery, but it very well may have been TLC, or History.
    lithium
    '08 Acura TL Type-S
    '97 F-250 4x4 PSD

  9. #9
    NABR Lieutenant General
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Craig - I think it was on History channel originally. I've seen all of those episodes as well down here in the Southeast.
    Jerry Ledford (aka LaserAWD)
    05 Evo VIII
    '92 Laser AWD FP3052, 24psi, 93 oct
    11.15 @ 124.6 - parted / sold

  10. #10
    NABR Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    S.O.G. has pissed off a bunch of locals because they owe quite a few people money, and they aren't paying up. I know a few guys on the show and most (if not all) of the stories are made up. Joe on the show has a brother Charles that purchased the silenced shotgun. Yeah right. Charles doesn't have enough money to buy anything in that shop. They didn't even mention Charles was Joe's brother. Joe wanted my Megabusa on the show. I told him no. He hasn't spoken to me much after that. The daughter needs to see a dentist to get the extra teeth taken out. And Will is an asshole.
    Hanksdeuce.com - 1970 M35A2 Bobbed/Lifted W/W Deuce - 12k lb / 130 HP (92 lb/HP!)
    Engineeredwebsites.com

  11. #11
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Age
    46
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Cabrera View Post
    Craig, was that on Discovery Channel or another station? I just tuned in last week so I'm sure I've missed some episodes. They advertise their Wednesday night showings as being new episodes but maybe that's just for Discovery?
    They are just using each others shows to boost the ratings. The had SOG on OC a few weeks ago building the same gun, now they are just showing un-aired footage on SOG. Lame.
    Chris,
    11.95 GST (sold)
    91 GSX in the works

  12. #12
    Donating Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Albany, IN, USA
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    I've got a red jacket SBR AK and suppressor... bought it before the show came out (or atleast before I saw it). Last week was month 8 waiting on the transfer to clear.. any day now I'll test it and let you know.

    The suppressed shotgun looks rowdy.
    When Jesus was betrayed in the garden and taken by the Romans, Peter drew his sword lopping off the centurion's ear. This is the only instance I recall being mentioned in the Holy Bible indicating that at least one apostle was "packing." I don't know whether or not any of the others apostles were armed, at that time or others, but evidently Jesus did not object to Peter's carrying the sword. As a Roman, it was customary for free men to bear arms. I may choose to turn the other cheek, if that is all that is at stake. As for protecting my family and myself I will trust in the Lord and the accuracy of my 45 caliber Kimber Compact Covert II.

  13. #13
    NABR Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    We watched it last night with the tri-m16.
    Would you like to see my second place trophies?

  14. #14
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Moho
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector Cabrera View Post
    It's funny that you mention that because in the next episode, Paul Jr. is going to be stopping by and they're building a bike inspired machine gun. I find the show entertaining even if they glorify it a bit for TV.
    I've seen the sausage being made which kills it for me. The shop where I work was involved with a Discovery production; the food is great, the people are nice but the producers ask you to do dumb shit things for the camera.

  15. #15
    Hank Hill
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Glendora CA.
    Posts
    3,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Bell View Post
    S.O.G. has pissed off a bunch of locals because they owe quite a few people money, and they aren't paying up. I know a few guys on the show and most (if not all) of the stories are made up. Joe on the show has a brother Charles that purchased the silenced shotgun. Yeah right. Charles doesn't have enough money to buy anything in that shop. They didn't even mention Charles was Joe's brother. Joe wanted my Megabusa on the show. I told him no. He hasn't spoken to me much after that. The daughter needs to see a dentist to get the extra teeth taken out. And Will is an asshole.
    I had my suspicions about most of that stuff being staged. The episode last year where they go on about having bought a grenade launcher(M203), they showed it briefly, and it looks like a cheapo flare launcher. Which is a fraction of the cost and requiring no paperwork to buy.

    Then all the talk about turning the world upside down with their custom silencers, not sure if I buy into that. It looks similar to other basic silencers I've seen.

    The recent episode where they have a 1000 yard AK was another bad one. They are trying to set the barrel headspace, but don't have any headspace gauges? Seriously, what shop that does work on AKs wouldn't have a $50 set of headspace gauges?

    The rest of the build sounds iffy for getting that sort of accuracy, and thats not even taking into account the ammo. Are they claiming they got accuracy like that with some ammo off the shelf? How many hundreds of feet were they aiming above the target, or how did they get their scope offset that far? 7.62x39 ammo isn't known for any sort of accuracy downrange, regardless of the rifle.

    I still find the show entertaining, I just dont believe half of it.

  16. #16
    NABR Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Keysville, VA
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad S. View Post
    The recent episode where they have a 1000 yard AK was another bad one. They are trying to set the barrel headspace, but don't have any headspace gauges? Seriously, what shop that does work on AKs wouldn't have a $50 set of headspace gauges?

    The rest of the build sounds iffy for getting that sort of accuracy, and thats not even taking into account the ammo. Are they claiming they got accuracy like that with some ammo off the shelf? How many hundreds of feet were they aiming above the target, or how did they get their scope offset that far? 7.62x39 ammo isn't known for any sort of accuracy downrange, regardless of the rifle.

    I still find the show entertaining, I just dont believe half of it.
    I was thinking the same thing on the headspacing ordeal.

    Look at the mag on the 1000yd AK, they're def not sending 7.62x39 downrange. More than likely .308.

  17. #17
    NABR Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    One of the RJF guys posted on a local forum, BayouShooter.com, about the 1000 yard AK:

    "We had a Flyer at the the 100 yard sight in but it was a .2" group with out it. We shot it at 300 and 1000 and the grouping stayed under .7 MOA with Black Hills 175 and Gold Medal Match."
    Hanksdeuce.com - 1970 M35A2 Bobbed/Lifted W/W Deuce - 12k lb / 130 HP (92 lb/HP!)
    Engineeredwebsites.com

  18. #18
    NABR Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Age
    37
    Posts
    595

    Default

    I watched the one where they rigged a gun into a lunchbox gun and never watched another episode.

  19. #19
    Donating Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Albany, IN, USA
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    Look closely at the permanent marker on the barrel: "30 cal"

    "Vince I want you to get the chamber depth set for this cartridge, you know what we're working with."

    Trailer: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/sons...0-yard-ak.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When Jesus was betrayed in the garden and taken by the Romans, Peter drew his sword lopping off the centurion's ear. This is the only instance I recall being mentioned in the Holy Bible indicating that at least one apostle was "packing." I don't know whether or not any of the others apostles were armed, at that time or others, but evidently Jesus did not object to Peter's carrying the sword. As a Roman, it was customary for free men to bear arms. I may choose to turn the other cheek, if that is all that is at stake. As for protecting my family and myself I will trust in the Lord and the accuracy of my 45 caliber Kimber Compact Covert II.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •