Thread: The Shootout

Fucking New Guy

Default The Shootout

Its been a while since I've logged in but, Id like to say it was good meeting the NABR people I met. I was with John Hishack most of the weekend, in the Spyder. It was also great hearing some of the old stories for the first time.
    Jason, 96 Talon TSi auto FWD.

NABR Veteran

I bought a Spyder in Cleveland then drove it there.
    aka Hop

'09 BMW 335i Xdrive <- Daily Driver
    '06 Nissan Pathfinder <- Tow bitch
    '92 3000GT VR4 <- SOLD
    '91 GVR4 #1587 <- SOLD
    '97 GS-t Spyder <- SOLD
    '90 Talon <- SOLD
    '95 TSi AWD, GT35R 10 second corn juice sippin' street car.
    Gallery: http://gallery.indystars.org/v/members/Hopkins/

FNG Graduate

Hopkins post pictures or it didn't happen.
    2004 Suzuki GSXR

NABR Regular

I saw it. No lies. Its pretty nice too.
    92 GSX auto(sold, in the Virgin Islands)
    93 GS N\T converted to turbo.(sold)
    05 Chevy Equinox

" Never get involved with a girl that was on the debate team, there is nothing worse than a woman trained to argue"

Fucking New Guy

Also, I have started uploading pictures from the event. If you are unlucky enough to have a Facebook, you can see them here.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9870141&type=1

Feel free to tag away.

NABR Regular

It was a pretty good weekend all in all.
    Riced
    2012 Blue Pearl Black Edition GT-R
    1989 Mr2 SC

NABR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Craig View Post
    It was a pretty good weekend all in all.
    Yeah, pretty good. My trailer still smells like meat from grilling at the track.

Eights are good, too, even if my car was running like crap!

My Shootout Video
    Scott Glassbrook
    1991 Eagle Talon RWD - 8.244@163MPH

NABR Veteran

Nice video, and congrats again on the 8 second run! Two questions. What was with the up and down sound on the dyno, and what was the cause of the cutting in and out on the last run? Related?
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

NABR Veteran

The sound on the dyno is a combination of things: My boost controller needs more tuning (it hits, pulls boost a few pounds and then goes to town again) and the tires were spinning on the dyno a little bit, dropping the load on the engine and exacerbating the problem.

The last run was all sorts of messed up - I haven't figured out that issue yet, but it's either ignition related or electrical in nature. The car was breaking up above 8000RPM, so something is certainly messed up. It figures though - I never get a clean pass in at the shootout.
    Scott Glassbrook
    1991 Eagle Talon RWD - 8.244@163MPH

FNG Graduate

On the dyno it was spinning the tires when it would spool and everything would unload. As for at the track, I will defer to Scott since I haven't seen the logs.

Doh. Scott beat me to it.
    Last edited by Rick Garnaat; 2011-08-23 at 16:42:31. Reason: I am slow.
    -Rick Garnaat (Tick)
    Who cares.....

NABR Regular

I see the TPG 2G all dented up in the front. What happened? Thanks for the photos and video.
    91 Talon AWD:10.56@136 (best trap=139mph) SOLD

NABR Veteran

Finally caught up on some sleep and now can reply! My Shootout prep started early last week. On Wednesday Nick and I worked until 4am to finish the car. First start up it ran for about 20 seconds and was down a cylinder. We didn't have time to diagnose it as we were getting up at 8 that morning. We loaded it on the trailer and figured we would address the mis cylinder in Ohio.

The ride out itself was uneventful. It was just my truck with my wife Christine, Nick and Steve. Two stops and 12 hours later, we arrived.

Friday we started to diagnose it. After a bit of work, we discovered 0 compression in cylinder 3. If we pried the valve close, we had compression. At this point I was a bit fed up and was ready to lock the trailer and hang out all weekend. Nick, Steve and Kevin would have * NO * part in that! There ambition motivated me enough to start working on it. I figured worse case at the least the head would be off and I could get it to machine shop on the way back home. We ended up getting more done then I anticipated and had the head off by 3am Friday. I really did not think there would any chance of finding a machine that one, would be open, and two, could fix it.

I was wrong! Wakeman Machine ( same machine shop that does all the Buschur work, minus the port work ) was not only open, but when I called they told me to bring it right down! An hour later and I was heading back to the track ( where the car was parked in the trailer at the show ). Best $80 I spent all weekend! Steve and I started the process of putting the head back on at the track and torqued it down and installed the manifolds on before we left the track.

Back at the Econolodge we continued the process. While this was going on my wife was bit by a dog and needed to go to an Emergency room. Two and a half hours and 6 stitch's later we were back. Nick and Steve continued working and basically had the car ready to fire when I returned.

Once we replaced the fuel soaked plugs from the previous day, it fired on all four cylinders! Unfortunately there was still a few bugs that prevented me from racing it, but it was not from lack of effort! With 3 miles on a brand new engine, it wasn't worth the risk to me when the car wasn't quite right. It needs some serious attention to the tune and a few other things ( new clutch master cylinder, new slave, oil fitting, etc... ) and it will be back at the track.

I cannot thank Nick, Steve and Kevin enough! Without them, my car would be not running and sitting in the trailer.

It was a great time and nice to meet some new friends and see some old ones.
    Mike Rizzotti
    Best ET- 9.98
    First DSM stock block in the 9's!

NABR Regular

Wow, I didn't know your wife got bitten. Hope she is doing ok.
    92 GSX auto(sold, in the Virgin Islands)
    93 GS N\T converted to turbo.(sold)
    05 Chevy Equinox

" Never get involved with a girl that was on the debate team, there is nothing worse than a woman trained to argue"

Fucking New Guy

I also had a great time at the shootout, haven't been to once sinice 2004! I chatted with a few people I recognize from here and they were all very polite and informative. I took a slew of pictures and videos while I was there for you viewing pleasure.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9931.516027193

Fucking New Guy

Mike, I didn't meet you or, at least I don't think I did. But, I was talking with Rob as the car was being fired the first few times. Every time it did fire, Rob would stop talking and say. Yup, that's on 2, on 3, then finally, hot damn its firing on all 4! So, congrats on that to you and the other guys who worked to get it done.

This was my first Shootout and it reminded me of the West Michigan Honda Meet. I witnessed and helped with time belt changes, motor swaps, etc. All, late at night while enjoying beverages not so suited for the job. All to have the car back on the track that morning. Needless to say, this wont be my last Shootout.

Also, I finally got some high res/edited pictures up on Flickr. Even some of Jimmy Read's show car.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroit...7627369890985/

Hopefully, my car will be at next years event!

FP turbo flogger

Jimmy's car was by far the nicest 1g ive seen in years, good job!
    1992 Talon Project BONE STOCK
    1994 Talon FP 16g 10.4@137.7
    FP 35R HTA 9.10@160.31
    2006 EVO IX FP Green 10.49@139.41, 110.32 1/8th!
    2012 WRX hatch, don't ask how slow it is.
    2015 Forester XT parts hauler

NABR Regular

Thanks a lot guys. That really means a lot to me. I'm planning on doing a full engine bay restoration this winter. Mostly cosmetic but I think it's really going to complete the car. See you guys next year!
    1991 Talon TSI AWD - 10.932 @ 127.78 FP 3052 - RIP
    1991 Clone - 10.87 @ 128.40 - pump gas FP76HTA 50K Mile Street Clone

NABR Regular

Damn those pictures make me miss my 1g. I like the 2g so far though.
    Paul Lyons
    97 Tsi AWD

NABR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jewer View Post
    Nice video, and congrats again on the 8 second run! Two questions. What was with the up and down sound on the dyno, and what was the cause of the cutting in and out on the last run? Related?
    I was curious, looked like something flew off your car on one pass, what was it?

Another fun year at the shootout, good seeing everyone again as always.
    -Dave
    1990 AWD - 10.0@138mph, 3200 lb land yacht - weekend moneypit
    1991 AWD - daily moneypit
    1989 Dodge Colt GT - MPG mobile

Prepubescent

Default My shootout weekend(short version)

It's always good to see those, who you don't get see often and
    meet new people as well. I myself had such an up and down weekend.
    Every year that drive from South Florida does not get any easier. But
    once you get to Ohio your attitude changes. And trailering the car
    added a huge level of stress, long story short I ended breaking my
    steering rack Sunday. Getting that POS off the trailer was a scary adventure
    because I basically had no steering input. And don't ask how or what
    because, I still have yet to pull the rack with all the rain we're getting
    from Irene. Also, today is the first time I don't feel like absolute crap,
    I slept very little over the weekend.

The track customer service was shit this weekend as well. They told me that they
    were going to kick everybody out on Saturday night because DB wanted no camping
    out at the track. Every time I talked to someone about it, I basically received a different
    answer. What a load of crap that was! Who the hell does DB think he is to dictate where I
    camp out at?

Anyways, on a very positive side to things I met alot of new people including Tim
    Zimmer(while he was working on Keagy's gear set). Also the guy who built the SLR
    with a 4G63 in it. And the guy who drove from San Clemente, Ca in his VR4 that they
    kept calling a "ZR4" over the PA(what a drive compared to mine). Yusuf, Matt Aruda,
    and so many others, I also missed alot of things because I was playing "catch up"
    all weekend.

Mike Rizz, I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I enjoyed talking to hear in
    2010 and I hope she is doing well. It's always a pleasure to be in your company.
    Same goes for Kiggly, Jewer, Hop(I saw his spyder)Jeff Bush,
    Jimmy "fucking" Reed, etc, etc, the list goes on. I still have to go through
    my pictures and post what I have. It's a learning experience every year,
    can't wait for 2012.
    "O"
    92 GST(E85)

FP Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jason L View Post
    Also, I finally got some high res/edited pictures up on Flickr. Even some of Jimmy Read's show car.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroit...7627369890985/
    Some great pictures Jason. Would you mind if I save a few and post them of FP's facebook page?

Fucking New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by AmberAtFP View Post
    Some great pictures Jason. Would you mind if I save a few and post them of FP's facebook page?
    Go for it! Maybe, Ill get famous from the exposure!! Ok, probably not.

Fucking New Guy

I know these aren't the greatest but here about 75 pictures I took while out there.

Enjoy.

I also have videos of about every single car out there that run on Sunday. If you guys have any specifics just ask and I can upload them.

NABR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
    I was curious, looked like something flew off your car on one pass, what was it?
    Man, I was hoping to run into you, WTF! That was a t-bolt clamp. A coupler split right up the middle and the tire must have kicked up the clamp. Someone was nice enough to hand it back to me over the wall. My small turbo might have been dying as well (still need to verify) which wouls be why it was spooling so slow. It would barely turn by hand when I installed it. I wasn't seeing full boost until ~200 feet out either.
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

NABR Veteran

Man, I was hoping to run into you, WTF! That was a t-bolt clamp. A coupler split right up the middle and the tire must have kicked up the clamp. Someone was nice enough to hand it back to me over the wall. My small turbo might have been dying as well (still need to verify) which wouls be why it was spooling so slow. It would barely turn by hand when I installed it. I wasn't seeing full boost until ~200 feet out either.
    I don't think it was the tire, I swear I saw it come out of the hole in the hood, could be wrong though. Yeah I went by your trailer a couple times to catch up but you weren't there every time I went by, or you were so deep in a car working on something I didn't want to interrupt. My trip was pretty short this year, due to some last minute stuff that came up, so I missed some of the people I usually catch up with yearly. Didn't get there till like 4 am Saturday morning where I was welcomed to the best western by drunk Fathouse, then went out of town all day Saturday, and had to leave somewhat early on Sunday due to people riding with me needing to be back home by a certain time. Realized when I got home and started reading the threads how many people I wanted to talk to I didn't know were there, or never was able to find. I swear it feels like the weekend gets shorter every year. Next year I plan on getting there early on Friday.
    -Dave
    1990 AWD - 10.0@138mph, 3200 lb land yacht - weekend moneypit
    1991 AWD - daily moneypit
    1989 Dodge Colt GT - MPG mobile

Fucking New Guy

I saw it fly up through the hood, which kinda baffled me.

Languorous Wristed

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Glassbrook View Post
    Yeah, pretty good. My trailer still smells like meat from grilling at the track.

Eights are good, too, even if my car was running like crap!

My Shootout Video
    I love the smoke coming out of the vent on the side of the car during the burnout!
    Josh Wingell aka ShapeGSX
    '97 Eclipse GSX - Evo III Big 16G, 6-bolt engine
    11.825@117.55 1.676 60-ft - still

NABR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
    I don't think it was the tire, I swear I saw it come out of the hole in the hood, could be wrong though.
    That wouldn't be impossible, but I sure wouldn't have expected that. Luckily it didn't take a detour through the big turbo! The only way to get through the hood hole is right past its inlet.
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

FP Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by MZimmerman View Post
    I know these aren't the greatest but here about 75 pictures I took while out there.

Enjoy.

I also have videos of about every single car out there that run on Sunday. If you guys have any specifics just ask and I can upload them.
    Same with you, would you mind if I snagged a few of your pictures for the FP Facebook page?

Fucking New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by AmberAtFP View Post
    Same with you, would you mind if I snagged a few of your pictures for the FP Facebook page?
    That is fine with me, Amber.