Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice in brake setup, clutch, and suspension

NABR Veteran

Is the brake system 100% stock? Do you have ABS?
    -Charlie

NABR Regular

Have you cleaned and re-lubed the slider pins?
    lithium
    '08 Acura TL Type-S
    '97 F-250 4x4 PSD

NABR Veteran

Agreed, is it all stock still? I know you were looking at the Wilwood pedal assembly at one point.
    www.StickyVinylGraphics.com
    ChumpCar World Series Regional Series Promoter
    www.chumpcar.com

NABR Veteran

I love it when someone has a question so urgent they post four times in a row about it, then don't reply to simple questions.
    -Charlie

Fucking New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JFast View Post
    Alright, so I'm done with the build. Cranked car, took it for a ride etc. Well after a spirited drive yesterday after about 1/2 hour of driving I started dragging my right front. Then after 10 miles or so it transferred to the left front. Why aren't my brakes dis-engaging? I didn't change anything in the system. The only thing I did was bleed the brakes. Is there an electroninc brake sensor or some sort of pedal height adjustment that I need to adjust that tells the brakes to stop clamping? This is really concerning and frustrating because it almost seems like I'm going to eventually get a full lockup. Master is good, proportioning valve is good, no lines are kinked or removed, brake pads and rotors are the ones installed. Only thing I did was reinstall them and bleed the brakes without turning the car on. Help me out guys!!!

Jeremy
    How do you know that the master cylinder and proportioning valve are good? From a visual inspection?

Italian Sausage

You have no free play on your master
    Magnus Social Club and Espresso Bar ◘

Fucking New Guy

Thanks for all the help on the brake situation guys. It ended up being a clogged caliper galley (if that's what you call them). I found the problem by pulling the rotors and pads on the corners one by one. I clamped three pistons at a time on my 4 pots and pumped the brake pedal to pop the seals off the one not clamped... and to jet the brakeline. It turned out the passenger front corner was clogged. It was filled with a ton of grey, almost tarlike, black goo. I'd assume the sludge or whatever was causing the brakes to stick and clamp tighter and tighter becuase when I jetted the system the problem went away. So, that was the fix if anyone wanted to know.

A lot of time has passed since I started this thread. I basically put the car in said discussion back together and was selective in weight reduction and mods. Turned into a really fun 3400lb 500hp street car on straight pumpgas. It's parked for the winter, only to be driven from March to November.

In the mean time, I decided to pickup another chassi and take it to another level, way beyond my street car. I heeded some good advice and decided it would be better to just build a dedicated racecar. Racecar will get the goodies. I just finished up stripping it down and prepping for a cage, custom subframe, and heavy suspension modification.

So here we go, I'm looking for is some billet uprights. Jake mentioned talking to Marco about getting something made? Will the DSM EVO fit on my application sir? I noticed they look modular? Can I send in brake shields with ducts and have those milled into the assembly? Same with brackets for brakes? Do I just tell you what caliper I'm using and you'll drill it for me?

In a short while I'll be asking the board to help me design a double A-arm. I will fab, just need some handholding on what and where to buy parts and pieces to convert the front corners to double wishbone, and to build correctly.

First objective is to find out about the knuckles. What are the Magnus uprights setup for? Does anyone have any examples of a current mounted and roadtested setup?

NABR Veteran

Come over and look at mine.

Vouched for by Fathouse, on probation

I looked into building my own uprights but decided against it due to cost and high quality wheel bearing cost. Instead i bought some 2011 Dallara IRL uprights instead since they can handle loads of downforce on banked ovals for hours on end.

Is this a drag car or a road racing car?
    1991 Eclipse Gst-Daily Driver
    1990 Eclipse Gsx-Hill Climb

Fucking New Guy

I'm setting this car up for road racing. The bigger goal is entry into the 2013 PPIHC. I was shooting for the 2012 race to the clouds but was turned away becuse the number of entrys was so great. I figured it's because the climb is a road course now. It's a Pinks "All Out" rush for entry to get in now. I believe the association turned away several hunderd applications. They locked the entry in November last year and left a few slots open for those racers who've ran before. To get in I'll have to register for 2013 race this August. A year gives me some breathing room to come up with something and to experiment with this and that. I'll check out Jakes setup and see if they'll work.

Vouched for by Fathouse, on probation

Yea I ran into the same issue. I tried to register when there were 10 openings and they rejected me due to lack of experience which is understandable. Next year is suposed to be a 2 day event and that's what I'm aiming for as well. Are you on the Colorado hill climb forum?
    1991 Eclipse Gst-Daily Driver
    1990 Eclipse Gsx-Hill Climb