Thread: Parachute talk.

FNG Graduate

Default Parachute talk.

Well it's time to get a parachute. I never looked at them until just recently and I'm looking for some input.

From what I read Stroud claims to open softly with out jerking the car. I don't don't want to be pulling this thing open and have the ass end fly around on me.

I plan on taking the car 160+ and don't want to buy twice. What are your guy's expirence and what do you recomend?
    2010: 10.1@150 10.2@154
    2011: 801awhp 9.7@149

FNG Graduate

Sorry my spell checker wasn't working for some reason* Can't edit my retarded words.

NABR Veteran

I've only experienced the Stroud chute that came with my car, but it's awesome. Packs easily, comes out gradually, etc.
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

NABR Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jewer View Post
    I've only experienced the Stroud chute that came with my car, but it's awesome. Packs easily, comes out gradually, etc.
    We have Strouds on the dragster and I agree with Kevin, although I haven't experienced them opening yet. I know my dads other car has a Simpson and ir was a nightmare to pack.
    1995 GSX
    9.99 at 140.59

FNG Graduate

Are you guys using launchers, or just mounting the parachute high enough where it will catch properly without one?
    www.atdsm.com

NABR Veteran

Mine just uses a spring loaded pilot chute. Placement is important though, it should be mounted high and angled up so the pilot chute catches the wind when it comes out.

You can see it in action in these two videos, first an in car, and then one from about 1000 feet (you can see the pilot chute come out first and drag the main chute with it. You can hear it snap when it opens).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhdFgGDlAmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJwrJz638c
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

FNG Graduate

I'm trying hard not to let the Dsmer in me come out and buy cheap crap on this one. How important are the launchers to have? I have seen plenty of cars run with out them and they seem to work fine.

On the Strouds, I see them always listed with the Launcher. Is this the only way they come?

NABR Regular

As another data point:
    The standard Simpson SkyJacker parachute comes with a spring-based pilot chute.
    1997 Lexus SC300- ProEFI Controlled, TH400 transferred- With heated leather.
    Ex-NEDSM member

Fucking New Guy

Glad to see you are doing your research, only because your mother told ya to.

I too, am interested in the information on this topic, for the future.

FNG Graduate

Yeah she about had a heart attack. Then started yelling to get a "freakin" parachute!

Have any of you used the mount that Shearer Fab designed? I know John has one on his car but I'm not sure if he has deployed the parachute yet.

I'm sure that just welding on a mount to the cage would work fine, but if the situation came around that I needed to swap it onto another car, their mount would be nice for that!

NABR Veteran

I have deployed the cute at 170mph without issues. A lot of 7 second mustangs use a similar setup made by skinny kid and another company.

NABR Veteran

I plan to do a chute sometime in the near future as well, nice to see some chatter about it!

John I hope we get to see your car in Jersey this year?
    95 TSI AWD 9.92 @ 147 mph
    99 GSX E316g Street Car

FNG Graduate

I saw the equation they state too figure out what class chute you need to get. Should I over estimate my mph?

I hit 154 pretty easy on 35psi. I'm pretty sure it can do 160, so should I put 170 mph?

NABR Veteran

Sounds reasonable to me. I would think it's better to have a little more and not need it than the opposite.
    RWD Talon - 8.23 @ 159

FNG Graduate

John, is Ron's chute bracket just held on by those 4 bolts that normally hold the rear bumper on? Or did you weld it as well?
    www.atdsm.com

NABR Regular

To bring this back from the dead, what did you end up using on your car? How did you end up installing it?

I don't need one yet, but that is my goal this year so I am just doing some due-diligence
    Jared Dear
    10 sec Mirage

NABR Shit-starter Elite

Stroud makes great stuff but they've had some serious production issues this year and a lot of pissed off customers. Luckily I got mine before they ran into these issues. I DID run into a backordered part for their cable kit and actually had to get my money back to buy from another vendor because I couldn't wait. As far as selection and a launcher, Stroud's site has a calculator to help determine which chute suits your needs. For a DSM, I'd stick to the Pro Stock model. A launcher isn't needed and it basically doubles the cost of the chute.

With Stroud's issues lately, lots of guys are looking at DJ. http://www.djsafety.com/index.html
    03 Cobra
    8.75 @ 154
    Stock Motor!
    3250 w/driver

NABR Regular

Ok, how do you determine whether you need a launcher or not?
    Jared Dear
    10 sec Mirage