A friend of mine recently sent me this information about a product he has been developing. It is towards the end of the testing stage and he is trying to get some feedback. I'd like to hear your thoughts (and pass them on to him). While this is primarily developed for the Supra world, there would be some application for guys using the GT35 and larger turbos. He's sending me pictures of this device and as soon as I have them I will post them here.

"The only requirement is you will need a divided turbine housing on your turbo and it must be a tangential housing (most turbos are this way). Most manufacturers make divided turbines for turbos that are around or a bit larger than the 16G size. Sometimes they don't always come with the turbo, but they may make them.

Spoolup will increase anywhere from 600-1000rpm with this device. Take a look below for charts (old data) and numbers.

This means you will have an extra 100-150+ HP under the curve (depending on the turbo) where you never had it before. The car will feel more linear in turbo spoolup and it will allow you to have more traction on a roadcourse instead of a turbo that's on/off. It will knock time off your drag racing 1/4 as well since the turbo will spool faster in-between shifts.

The device is internal to the turbo itself and I will need your turbine housing cores to do the machining and building of the device. Unfortunately at this time I do not have spare cores sitting around, but if you would like me to buy you an extra one I can refund your cash on reception of your core.

Here is a log of my spoolup chart showing how much extra boost you have earlier on with a GT4202 single turbo. Full spool is nearly 700+ rpm when the device is turned on.

Here are the AEM logs showing the data
device off
device on

Here are some newer spool numbers from one of the newer tuning sessions I was doing:
3000 - 2psi
3200 - 3psi
3400 - 4.5psi
3600 - 6.2psi
3800 - 8.6psi
4000 - 12psi
4100 - 15psi
4200 - 17psi
4300 - 20psi

The great thing about this product is that there are NO modifications to the exhaust header or the exhaust downpipe whatsoever. The device is fully contained inside the turbocharger. The only piece on the outside is the actuator which controls the device, and it is very small in size. It can be located on either side of the turbo and bolts to the bottom side of the turbo flange.

Pricing is to be $599 per turbo. Price includes everything including machining, installation, brackets, and actuator. This is a bolt-on piece!

Some questions I had come up
Is it serviceable? - It's meant to be a permanent installation inside the turbo, but it can be removed if it is no longer wanted/needed. The solenoid is obviously removed by bolts and the turbo can be set in the "off" position by wiring the gate in the top-most position ("off"). It is meant to really never have failures. The material is made of 304L stainless and is meant to never have to be serviced. Replacement gates or brackets would be available if needed, but they should never have issues.

Can it be moved to another turbo? - If it is the same size turbo then yes. You can simply swap the turbine housing to the new turbo and you are set. Different sized turbos need different sized gates and machining processes so it would not be something you can pull out of one and swap to a larger turbo if you decide to upgrade. I'm sure the retail price for your used turbo will be much higher with the device in place and you would be able to get most of your money back out of it on ebay.

How is it activated? - There is a wastegate solenoid attached to a bracket which pushes a moment arm that swings the gate open/closed. The wastegate can come in any spring pressure you would like, and you can also use a boost controller on the line to manage boost pressure switch-over if needed. The gate can also be activated with an electronic actuator and software like the AEM. It's a set it and forget it type of thing, I have mine set at 7psi and it has stayed there ever since. The goal is to get the turbo spooled enough so it can spin on the exhaust pressure currently running through the turbine. 7-9psi seems to be the perfect spot for larger frame turbos.

Is there any restriction? - Only when the device is "on". This only happens when the turbo is spooling up and there is minimal exhaust flow through the turbine. Backpressure is increased during these times, but this is what spools the turbo up quicker. The main thing to note is that any loss due to the backpressure is massively offset by the rise in HP.

What gains are there? - Dyno testing by another company has shown in some spots an extra 150 + HP under the curve at the wheels. This gives you up to an extra 1000 rpm of spool time and power under the curve. It's the same difference between running 15psi on the dyno and 25psi on the dyno down low...you definitely feel it in the seat of the pants. I would equate it to running a shot of nitrous to spool the turbo, except the nitrous never runs out! The gain is only on spoolup and it does not net you a higher overall HP, but it will make your car faster in every scenario (drag racing, road coursing, and on the street). At some points on the chart above you can see a difference of 10psi of boost, this makes the car feel completely different.

What's the process to get it done to my turbo? - Unfortunately right now I do not have cores of every type and style of turbo laying around to have product ready to purchase. What has to happen is you need to send in your turbine housing (or pay for a new housing) for me to machine and retrofit the device to your turbine. When you receive it back you will just bolt it up where your old one went, that's it. Right now it looks like the time to get the machining done is about a week, and then however quickly you would want it back I can ship it. For UPS ground I would assume a total time of 2 weeks from time you ship until time you receive it back."